Friday, January 11, 2008

Where do you stand?

So it became clear to me after the last couple of televised debates, that people seem so confused on who to vote for this election. I actually heard a lady in New Hampshire say that she had definately decided that John McCain was the best Nominee, and had planned to vote for him, until she overheard someone at work say that he was too old to be president, so now she wasn't sure who to vote for. (Hasn't she always known that he was old?) How easily people are influenced by others, rather than focusing on the facts and the heart of the debate. We also know that when recently in Iowa, Obama was attending college campuses, letting them know that Iowa does not ask for proof of residency, and encouraging those that can't prove residency, to go to the polls and vote for him. Where is the Presidential integrity? And when caught not putting his hand over his heart during the National Anthem, his spokesman, Bill Burton replied by e-mail: "Sometimes he does, sometimes he doesn't... In no way was he making any sort of statement, and any suggestion to the contrary is ridiculous." Shouldn't the politicans in this country ALWAYS be making a statement, that we LOVE this country and honor those that died protecting it? In listening to, and reviewing all of the platforms of the different nominees, one true thing came to mind, "The Family Proclamation". Most of you are aware of what that is, but some of you aren't. The Family Proclamation discusses the sanctity of marriage. It says that the FAMILY is ordained of God. And it concludes, "We call upon responsible citizens and officers of government everywhere to promote those measures designed to maintain and strengthen the family as the fundamental unit of society." The ONLY nominee that I have seen to this point in the race that has upheld this kind of morality and commitment to those things we believe, is Mitt Romney. I respect several different ideas put forth by Rudy Guiliani, Fred Thompson, and even John McCain, but when we say that we want change in the White House, what kind of change are we really looking for? I've heard so many radical ideas, and even Mike Huckabee has compared the way we treat illegal aliens to the slave movement! Sometimes I really do feel like I am on another planet.
There are obviously VERY important reasons to vote for a presidential nominee, and I think most of us would agree what they are, but some additional issues that are important to me are:
* Strengthening our families
* Sanctity of life
* Protecting our freedoms and keeping us safe (protect the borders)
* Integrity
* Success
* Respect for God & our country
But here are reasons I do not vote for a certain nominee:
* Race
* Gender
* Someone who promotes an empty idea of "change"
* Someone who is humorous during the debate (not necessary to be in office)
* Someone who loves attacking other nominees during the debate (equally annoying)
* To see a fresh new face
* To show tolerance of others
* Specific religion
* To see a new party in office
* Bashing the current president (this may be popular, but very unbecoming of the nominee engaging in it)
On a more positive note, I am thankful that we do have nominees that love this country and really do want to make a difference. I am also glad that we have a Republican Nominee who has high morals and standards, and even if he doesn't win, has spoken his mind, planted ideas, and been a positive influence on the lives of Americans!
Go Mitt Romney!!!

11 comments:

•stephanie• said...

i really like this. good thinking. i've said it before and i'll say it again and again and again . . . go cousin mitt!

Jheri said...

It turns out that we are distantly related to Mitt also. Scott's aunt Nona, (in our ward), is Mitt Romney's dad's cousin. Pretty cool!

Missy said...

I didn't see my nominee on your poll...

JHERI GLOVER for PRESIDENT!

(lol)

I seriously love this about you, my Sister/Politician!

Thanks for pointing these things out because I am like those other losers and am totally influenced by people, but I listen to you first before anyone else...I am convinced now.

Vote Mitt.

Chase & Tricia said...

Well, I couldn't agree more...of course. I am glad he will promote that family values I care so much about!

Joel said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jheri said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kemra said...

I agree with you! I also like Fred Thompson - I thought he did very well in the debate! Huckabee was WAY off on immigration, and I am NOT a McCain supporter - although I do agree with him on SOME issues! I have to say that I think Guiliani is CLOSET liberal! I hope he doesn't win it either!

Let's go ROMNEY!

Kenyon said...

Go Mitt Romney!! Great post, I agree!

•stephanie• said...

people in michigan are apparently brilliant! hurray

Staci said...

Ditto to EVERYTHING you said!!!

Mike & Stephanie Wright said...

The only problem that I have with Mitt is that if he was elected EVERYTHING that people did not like about him would come back to bashing our church. I think there is already enough bashing on our church. Who knows in the end who I will vote. Right now it is Mitt.